#How IOT Works #IOT basics #IOT concept #IOT conclusion
- Internet of things is a concept or a technology which aims to connect all the devices to the internet and help them communicate with each other using the internet as a medium.
- It’s a network which has the ability to transfer the data over a network without human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction.
- This technology aims to connect all the devices to the internet for communicating with each other. These devices can be anything like TV, FREEZ; it could be your mobile phones or your cars; these things can be considered as the internet of things.
- This is just the basics of the Internet of Things. We will be going to see in detail about how iot works.
- This is the IOT basics. Let’s go deep in it.
Introduction to IOT
- IOT is the network of physical objects which contains embedded electronics in their architecture for communication and sensing interactions among each other, concerning the external environment.
- This is done by using sensors which are embedded in every physical device.
- It can be anything that you come across in day to day life like mobile phone, electrical appliances, Pecos barcode sensors, traffic lights, and almost everything.
- The sensors in your devices emit data about the working state of the devices.
- But the question is How do they share a huge amount of data and how do we put this data to our benefit.
- IOT provides a common platform for all these devices to dump their data and a common language for all the devices to communicate with each other.
- Data is emitted from various sensors and sent to the IOT platform. The platform integrates the collected data from multiple sources then further analytics is performed on the data, and valuable information is extracted as per requirement.
- Finally, the result is shared with other devices for better user experience, automation and for improving efficiencies.
How IOT Works?
Now, how IOT works? The Internet has changed everything now-a-days like that IOT is becoming an essential part of the technology and now its a reason for the change in technology. It aims to take the technology, the connectivity between human and tech to another level.
Humans can interact with the gadgets to set them up, give them instructions or access the data, but the devices do most of the work on their own without human intervention.
This is because the IOT enables things to connect and collect significant data from various sources to share the data over the internet to communicate with other devices.
There are four main components of IOT:
- Data processing
- User Interface
i. Sensors/Devices :
- Sensors are used to gather and share data. Sensors are embedded in every physical device.
- Sensors gather the data from the environment in about every minute. This technology of sensor makes IOT security even great.
- If a device has more than one sensor, then it can do more than just sensing the things. Like, our phones have more than one sensors such as GPS, accelerometer, camera but our phone does not merely detect things.
- In connectivity, the data collected by sensors requires to send the cloud infrastructure, but it needs a medium to transport.
- Once the data is collected, it is transferred to the cloud infrastructure which is also called as IOT platforms. These transactions need a medium like satellite networks, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, wide-area networks (WAN).
- The effectiveness of IoT security highly depends on the speed and availability of these mediums.
- This medium is chosen by its specifications between power consumption, bandwidth, and range. So it is important to deploy the best connectivity option.
iii. Data Processing:
- The next step is to an analysis of data when data is reached the cloud infrastructure; it has to be analysed so that the right action can be taken.
- Next after data collection and sharing the device start processing on it.
- It’s very simple as like checking the temperature of your freezer or sometimes it has been difficult for identifying the objects (such as intruders in your house) using computer vision on video.
iv. User Interface:
- This is the last step that means that information made available to the end-user. It works through notifying the user through sending messages or emails to their phone or triggering alarms.
- For Example, sometimes the system doesn’t need the interference of humans to work; like in home automation system if no one is in the home and the system detects any intruders then they are sensed, then the system generate an alert to the owner of the house and also to the concerned authorities.This is how iot works.
Why IOT is Important?
IOT plays an essential role in technology as it has the solution to every problem; it will be the future of technology. Many businesses start to deploy this technology to improve their productivity and efficiency.
Just Imagine that things around you begin to talk with you and start smartly providing information.
Like, Wouldn’t it be great if your umbrella updates you about the weather by beeping and tell you to carry it? Or When your TV notifies you when your favourite show is live.
Technology has reached such a stage that it is very tough to isolate a particular domain.
In simpler words “Internet of Things will enable things around you to update their status on the internet.”
IOT can allow devices to generate real-time data that we can then analyze and use to create desired outcomes.
IOT is creating a vast network with connected devices, and these devices collect data, share data about how they are used and the environment in which they are operated.
This is done by using sensors which are embedded in every physical device. The sensors in your devices emit data about the working state of the devices.
But the question is How do they share a massive amount of data and how do we put this data to our benefits.
IOT provides a common platform for all these devices to dump their data and a common language for all the devices to communicate with each other.
Data is emitted from various sensors and sent to the IOT platform then it integrates the collected data from multiple sources; further analytics is performed on the data and valuable information is extracted as per requirement. Finally, the result is shared with other devices for better user experience automation and improving efficiencies.
IOT example in daily life:
Lets look how IOT is doing wonders here,
In an AC manufacturing industry, both the machine and the belt have sensors attached, and they continuously send data regarding the machine health and the product specifications to the manufacturer to identify issues beforehand.
A barcode is attached to each product before leaving the belt. It contains the product code, manufacturer details, special instructions etc.
The manufacturer uses this data to identify where the product was distributed and track the retailer’s inventory.
Each retailer has a barcode reader to track the products coming from different manufacturers, manage inventory, check special instructions and many more. The compressor of the Air conditioner has an embedded sensor.
This sensor emits data regarding its health and temperature.
This is just one in a million scenarios.
We have smart applications, smart cars, smart homes, smart cities where IOT is redefining our lifestyle and transforming the way we interact with Technologies.
The future of IOT industry is vast. Business insider intelligence estimates that by 2020 24 billion iot devices will be installed and ITC predicts that IOT Revenue will reach around three hundred and fifty-seven billion in 2019 resulting in an IOT of job opportunities in the IT industry.
Limitations of IoT
1. Privacy :
This is a significant concern when it comes to exchanging valuable information regarding anything. Since everything will be connected breaching inside the system would be easy by the hackers. By entering just part of the network will reveal all regarding an organisation or individual.
2. Safety :
Internet of Things privacy is the special considerations required to protect the user’s safety.
Risks are directly associated with the traditional use of the device and include things such as: Overheating, Shock, Sonic Hazards, etc.
3. Compatibility :
It causes when there is a need for more hardware or software deployments required while connecting the devices.
A home-based application like laptops, tv and mobile is getting the problem with connecting because of compatibility.
The conclusion says that our future is now IoT. It will change everything and make devices able to be automated without any human interaction. And rapidly it will impact on our lives. The future of IoT is virtually unlimited due to advances in technology.
The IoT has the potential to dramatically increase the availability of information, and is likely to transform companies and organizations in virtually every industry around the world.