The Complete Guide On How To Password Protect a Zip File.
If you are habituated to work with files, you must have probably got used to working with ZIP files or compressed files. Zip files are the ideal sources for storing as well as sharing large amounts of sensitive data.
Zip files can be easily transferred over the Internet. With a lot of prons, they have some cons too. Even though the zip files are archived, they are not encrypted by default from unauthorized access.
To provide some extra level of protection, you can also choose to encrypt and even password protect your files to prevent those prying eyes.
Would you like to stave off unauthorized people from accessing your sensitive data or the data you stored or sent through email? Let Us learn some ways to encrypt and password protect zip files before you share them with anyone.
Now-a-days there are a lot of digital frauds going on and hackers are like everywhere. Make sure you don’t fall for those prying eyes and always ensure that your sensitive data and information are encrypted and password protected.
We have covered every possible and easy way in a nutshell, to make you understand how to password protect your zip files. Dive deep into the article and learn some useful and unknown facts to protect your data.
HOW TO PASSWORD PROTECT A ZIP FILE USING 7-ZIP AND IS IT SAFE?
- First of all download the 7-zip. So basically there are two versions of 7-zip: for windows 32 and 64-bit processes. Download the suitable version according to your current system type. You can check your system type in the settings if you are not sure.
- Right-click on the file that needs to be zipped and encrypted. Now select 7-zip and add it to the archives.
- Now choose the archive format as zip and now “compress” the files that are archived.
- Choose AES-256 as your encryption method and click on “OK” option.
- Easy. Isn’t it? That all your zip file is now password protected. It may take some time to encrypt and compress if your folder contains multiple large files.
Many of you may be having doubts like is it safe using 7- zip? Yes, it is absolutely safe to use 7-zip. It uses strong encryption, so it will definitely be difficult for an attacker or hacker to access your sensitive information.
Take care about the password you choose. Keep the password unique and hard to guess. Never send your password alone with the encrypted files. Better send it through the encrypted email. So by doing this it will be helpful for you to safeguard your information.
HOW TO PASSWORD PROTECT A ZIP FILES USING WINDOW TOOLS?
- Password protection through windows is only available and possible in Microsoft Windows 10 Pro not in the Windows 10 home. So make sure you have windows 10 pro. Password protection and encryption through this is integrated in the operating system by default. The best thing about windows is, it password protects your files without the need of any third-party software additionally.
- Right-click on the zip file that you want to password protect.
- Select the option “properties” and open the file properties.
- Now just open the “Advanced Attribute” window by clicking on the “Advanced” tab.
- In the “Advanced Attributes” tab, now select the option “encrypt contents to secure data”
- Close the “Advanced attributes” tab by clicking “OK” and save the changes.
- A padlock appears on the file icon. This is the indication that the selected file is password protected and encrypted.
HOW TO PASSWORD PROTECT A ZIP FILES USING A MAC
1.USING THE TERMINAL.
- Password protecting zip files with the terminal is easy, to be honest. It is the most precise method. Let’s see how it’s done.
- Firstly, open the terminal on your mac
- Now type ‘cd’ and the location of the file or folder that you want to compress and encrypt.
- Type zip –er filename.zip command in the terminal.
- Now enter and verify the password.
That’s it. You will see the compressed, password-protected file on your desktop. Easy right.
- Using the betterzip option for mac is way more useful. Its interface is clean and easily understandable. It quickly archives and password protects your zip file effortlessly. With AES-256, it automatically encrypts the files and folders. To create and manage the secure passwords, it has a password generator. Better zip is a better alternative to encrypt your files, it stores the passwords for you in the password manager.
HOW TO PASSWORD PROTECT A ZIP FILE USING WINRAR.
WinRAR is a well-figured file compression app. It helps in password protecting your zip files with ease.
- First of all download and install the WinRAR app.
- After the installation, search the files and folders that you need to password
protect, now right-click and hold them.
- Now click on the “Add to archive” you will find in the menu.
- Now select the ZIP from the option “Archive Format”.
- Click on the option “Set Password”
- Select the “ZIP legacy encryption” if you wanted to in the password-protected file with the windows explorer.
- Now, wait until WinRAR create the ZIP file.
- Only you and the people who know the password are authorized to see your contents.
WHY IS IT ESSENTIAL TO PASSWORD PROTECT YOUR ZIP FILES?
The main motto of this article is to make you understand the importance of password protecting your zip files. Using password protection helps you to keep yourself away from digital frauds and hackers. Some of the notable points are:
- Password protecting helps to provide security for the sensitive information.
- It protects your file during data transfers.
- Fewer risks are there for the unauthorized parties to access them.
- Your data becomes unreadable to the prying eyes.
HOW TO OPEN A PASSWORD PROTECTED FILE STEP BY STEP?
Using some simple and easy steps a password-protected file can be opened. They are:
- Save the file on your system.
- Right-click on the folder. Now choose 7-zip and open the archive.
- Double click on the folder that is encrypted and enter the password you chose.
- And boom, you have the access to the folders.
Zipping and encrypting files or folders is very essential. It is one of the best ways to safeguard your data and sensitive information from unauthorized people.
In this article, we also explained how to password protect a Zip files in the terminal, Windows tools in a very easy manner. We also explained step by step about how to open a password protected file too. Go through it. Are you familiar with any other alternative and useful ways to password protect a file? Please do share with us about how did you like the article and let us know in the comments below.