What is 1G,2G,3G,4G and 5G … Mobile Networks?
What is 1G 2G 3G 4G 5G? Here the ‘G’ stands for the Generations.
When you buy a new phone, you quite heard about the terms like 1G 2G 3G 4G and now the LTE, but not very familiar with them.
In Today’s world mobile is one of our basic need and so the network is essential. There is 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, and now 5G networks come in the market, which is the fastest network currently.
Evolution of these wireless networks :
What is 0G?
- This is actually called “mobile radio telephone.” that’s why the system referred in retroactive terms like ‘zero generation’ or we can say ‘pre-cellular.’
- This system begins with technology like Motorola and the Bell system. The commercial telecommunication the system was introduced by it.
What is 1G?
- 1G is the 1st generation.
- The first generation of wireless cellular technology. It refers to first generation of wireless technology. 1G network were analog.
- It simply makes phone calls, this is all it was able to do.
- This telecommunication standard remains until the advent of 2G.
At the time in 1979, NTT (Nippon Telegraph and Telephone) in Japan launched the world’s first automated cellular network for commercial use.
- The USA introduces its first 1G network for the Motorola DynaTAC cellular phone.
What is 2G?
- The second generation provided customers with the facility of voice calling and text messaging. 2G networks are digital.
- During 90s 2G was the first commercially launched network.
- The important thing is that it was the first network that makes use of data on phone calls. And also it was the first network that offers SMS(short messaging service).
- Because of this, the quality of phone calls was improved than analogue data. It reduces the intricacies of data transmission.
What is 2.75G?
- It marks the evolution of GPRS to the EDGE network, which offers fastest and improves data transmission rates than previous ones.
- But the EDGE was introduced in the pre-3G era, so the ITU(International Telecommunication Union) officially announced it as 3G technology.
What is 3G?
- This technology sets the standard for most of the wireless networks.
- Third generation allowed the use of internet on the mobile phone, while also enabling picture-sharing and Bluetooth Connectivity.
- Commercially it was launched in 2001. And it was the 1st mobile broadband capable wireless network.
- Data transmission rates of 3G networks are 200 kbps (2mbps).
- It allows high data speed at low cost.
- It enables different application like email, video streaming, video call, voice call, downloading, sharing, etc.
What is 3.5G?
- 3.5G is five times faster than the 3G network.
- It is a combination of two protocols HSDPA and HSUPA, i.e. high-speed downlink packet access and high-speed uplink packet access respectively.
- It uses Wideband code division multiple access protocol.
What is 3.75G?
- 3.75G comes with high packet access, also known as HSPA+.
- It is another cellular technology which is a further evolution of HSPA standard.
- Data transmission rates are 168mbps for downloading and 22mbps for uploading it depends on condition.
- These speeds were improved by using MIMO(multiple input and multiple outputs).
What is 4G?
- Fourth generation the latest technology till date – has completely transformed the app and content ecosystem.
- It offers first true internet broadband data transmission rates.
- It was deployed in 2009 in Sweden and Norway.
- Its data transmission rates are 10 times faster than 3G technology.
- It expanded over the past years to become more available for the major metropolitan area and developed countries.
- It not only gave immense speed to social media and video streaming but also made booking movie tickets or ordering a taxi through a few clicks on an app easy and fast!
What is LTE?
- LTE it means ‘long term evolution’ this is the mobile evolution standard for high-speed wireless internet connection for mobile device and data terminals.
- If you want to take advantage of this you have to choose the right phone which supports LTE as it offers you more advantage of the speed improvements.
What is LTE plus?
We discussed above what is LTE! Now the LTE plus, It is the same technology based on LTE platform as we saw above. Except that the data transfer speeds are even fastest or we can say triple than LTE in the LTE Plus.
What is 5G?
- The next-generation telecom technology will bring higher speeds to mobile phones, but it won’t be limited only to that.
- 5G will be the network for millions of devices and not just for the smartphone. It promises to enable fast (and secure) connectivity between devices other than smartphones, such as sensors, vehicles, robots, and drones.
- Now, imagine the benefits of a technology like this.
- It will change the game entirely for many industries!
- Many companies come up with hardware and routers while others have begun to the introduced 5G network.
- It will have data speed up to 1 to 10 Gbps.
- It is Expected that it would launch up to 2020 but the fates the technology could come sooner than that.